This post contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure for more info.
Mexican street corn (also known as Esquites) has become an extremely popular side dish. At one time you might find it at a food truck in California, but there are even baseball fields that now have Mexican street corn on their menu. But what if you want to enjoy this delicious side dish at home?
Street corn salad is an awesome side dish to serve at your next summer cookout, potluck or taco night. Best of all, it’s so easy to make with some grilled corn, if you made a bit too much, or you can start from scratch. Let’s take a closer look.
What’s the difference between elotes and esquites?
The difference is simple. Elotes is Mexican street corn served on the cob. After grilling the corn, you’re going to spread on a seasoned cheese spread. Esquites is served off the cob. You cut the grilled corn off the cob and mix with the other ingredients. That’s what this Mexican Street Corn Salad recipe is.
What kind of corn is best for elote?
Fresh sweet corn is the best for making Mexican street corn whether you’re making elotes or esquites.
Is elote better warm or cold?
Mexican street corn can be served hot or cold. This Mexican Corn Salad is served cold and is a refreshing side dish for your cookouts.
Do I have to char the Corn?
The charring of the corn adds flavor to the dish. If you don’t like charred flavor, you could always skip this step, but the charring of the corn will caramelize the sugar in the corn adding great flavor.
What are the ingredients to make Mexican Street Corn Salad?
You’re going to need some ingredients that you might not have on hand but can easily be found in most grocery stores:
- Fresh sweet corn on the cob
- Olive oil
- Jalapeno pepper
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Cotija cheese
- Garlic cloves
- Ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
How do you make Mexican street Corn Salad?
- The first thing you want to do is grill the corn. Brush the corn with olive oil and then cook on all sides, turning occasionally, until char marks are visible, and the corn is tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool until you can comfortably handle the corn.
- Cut the kernels from the cob and place into a large bowl.
- Add the jalapeno and onion to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the avocado and stir.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, minced garlic, cumin, and salt and pepper.
- Pour over the salad and stir to combine.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
Finally, add the Cotija cheese and cilantro, and chill before serving. Enjoy!
What do you serve with Mexican street corn?
This would be wonderful with grilled chicken. It would also be good with your favorite Mexican dish, such as fajitas. It would also be great with a smoked pork butt or ribs. Truthfully, this side dish would go well with a lot of cookout foods, even grilled hamburgers.
Mexican Street Corn
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed and diced
- ½ cup red onion finely chopped
- ½ avocado chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese finely crumbled, plus more for serving if desired
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime about 1 tablespoon
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium heat and lightly oil grill grates
- Brush olive oil on corn
- Cook on grill, turning occasionally until corn is tender and char marks are visible
- Remove from grill and allow to cool until you can easily handle it
- Cut corn kernels from cob and add to a large bowl
- Add cut jalapeno, and red onion and to bowl, stir to combine
- Cut avocado and stir into salad
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients
- Pour dressing over salad and stir until well combined
- Season with more salt and pepper if necessary
- Chill until ready to serve
- To serve, add crumbled Cotija cheese and cilantro, if desired