This post contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure for more info.
These grilled chicken thighs with my marinade recipe are not only flavorful, but they are moist and sure to become one of your go-to recipes this summer. Chicken is so often overlooked when it comes to grilling. Or everyone reaches for the pack of chicken breasts and ends up horribly disappointed because their chicken dries out. Let me teach you how to avoid this and grill chicken thighs to perfection!
Do chicken thighs dry out on the grill?
Chicken thighs are less likely to dry out on the grill because of their higher fat content. That doesn’t mean that they won’t dry out, but you’re choosing a better cut when you opt for thighs over breasts.
Boneless chicken thighs have 4.5 grams of fat in a 4-ounce portion, while chicken breasts have less than 1.5 grams of fat for the same amount. This additional fat will help keep the chicken moist.
This recipe for grilled boneless chicken thighs takes things a step further by using a marinade to add additional moisture.
Are grilled chicken thighs a healthy option?
There used to be a stigma associated with eating dark meat. Dark meat has more fat, but it also has more iron. The key is to remove the skin. Whether you’re eating white or dark meat, the skin is where most of the fat is. Chicken thighs are also an excellent source of protein.
What are the ingredients to make grilled boneless chicken thighs?
This recipe calls for some ingredients you may not have one hand, but they are easy to find in any grocery store.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Brown sugar
- Rice wine vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon mustard
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
How do you make the chicken thighs marinade?
This chicken thighs marinade is so simple to make. This first step is to mix the marinade ingredients together.
Add the boneless chicken thighs to a zip top bag and then pour in the marinade. Refrigerate anywhere between 8 to 24 hours.
How to grill chicken thighs to perfection?
While you preheat the grill to 425 degrees F, remove the chicken from the refrigerator
Grill the chicken thighs for 2-3 minutes on each side to achieve a nice sear and then move to a cooler part of the grill. Continue grilling until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F, flipping occasionally.
Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
They also taste great on Caesar salads.
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Chicken Marinade
- 8-10 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Add the thighs to a large zip top bag and pour in the marinade
- Seal the bag and shake to coat all around. Refrigerate for 8 hours, up to 24 hours.
- After marinating, remove chicken thighs from the refrigerator while you preheat your grill to 425° F.
- Place chicken thighs on a hot grill and grill 2-3 minutes until you get a good sear. Flip and sear the other side for another 2-3 minutes
- Move the chicken to an unlit area of the grill and cook until they reach an internal temperature of 165° F, flipping occasionally.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.