Looking for a different sandwich than pulled pork? Smoked bologna is another great smoker recipe that you’re going to love.
This recipe is easy to make, but oh so flavorful. If you’re looking for a great recipe to make for an easy weekend lunch, this is the perfect recipe. Let’s take a closer look at how to make smoked bologna.
What Are the Ingredients to Smoke Bologna?
Smoked bologna is something that is so easy to make because the ingredients are so simple. You probably have all the spices on hand.
- Bologna chub
- Yellow mustard
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
How to Smoke Bologna
The first thing you want to do is set your smoker to 180 degrees F. While that’s happening, mix your seasonings in a bowl and set aside.
Cut your chub bologna in a crisscross pattern, 1 inch apart and 1 inch deep.
Next, slather the mustard on the outside of the bologna and then sprinkle liberally with your seasoning.
Place on the smoker grate and smoke at 180 degrees F for 2 hours.
Increase the temperature to 325 degrees F and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F and the char on the outside of the bologna is to your taste.
Remove from the smoker and let set for 10 minutes. Slice and serve immediately or chill for later.
How Long Do You Smoke Bologna?
The exact time will depend on how charred you like your bologna. You will need to smoke it for two hours before increasing the temperature. You then smoke for roughly another hour or until the meat is as charred as you like.
What Do You Serve with Smoked Bologna?
Smoked bologna makes a delicioius sandwich. You can put it between two slices of bread or on a hamburger bun along with your favorite sandwich toppings. You can also serve it like any other smoked meat with your favorite sides such as cole slaw, baked beans, or even mac and cheese.
- 5 pound Bologna chub
- Yellow mustard for binder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Preheat smoker to 180°F
- Combine the seasonings in a small bowl
- Slice the bologna chub in a cross-hatch pattern, 1-inch apart and 1-inch deep.
- Apply yellow mustard to the outside to act as a binder and sprinkle the seasoning rub over the outside liberally.
- Place the chub onto the Traeger grill grates and smoke for 2 hours at 180°F.
- Increase the temperature to 325°F and cook for another 1 to 1 ½ hours until the bologna chub is at 165°F and charred to your preference.
- Remove and let sit for 10 minutes, slice and serve immediately or chill for later.