This post contains Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure for more info.
This Traeger Smoked Meatloaf Recipe is going to give you all the comforting feelings of home. You’ve got down to earth ingredients that your momma would have used and then you add a delicious rub to kick up the flavor. Add in the smoky flavors and you’re going to love this Traeger Meatloaf.
Meatloaf is comfort food. Plain and simple. While it seems like meatloaf has always been around, it might be shocking to learn that its origins began in Ancient Rome. Today, you can find meatloaf made with everything from ground veal to chicken. The choices for cutting the meat to make it into a dense loaf are also varied from panko breadcrumbs to simple white bread. While you may have tried a variety of meatloaves over the years, have you ever smoked a meatloaf?
If you love easy recipes, you’ll love how easy this meatloaf is to throw together. If you’re looking for a relaxing Sunday, make this Traeger Meatloaf. Serve this with some smoked mac & cheese and a side salad for a delicious Sunday dinner.
- Ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Seasoned salt
- Ground black pepper
- Large egg
- BBQ sauce
- Dark brown sugar
- Ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Onion powder
- Ground mustard
- Cayenne pepper powder
- Preheat the smoker to 180 degrees.
- Mix together the meatloaf ingredients.
- Mix together the rub ingredients and set aside.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf and place on a wire rack and coat with rub.
- Place on the smoker rack and cook for 1 hour.
- Increase the smoker temperature to 375 degrees, brush on reserved sauce, and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees internally.
- Remove from the smoker and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Add additional BBQ sauce, if desired.
Mix together the meatloaf mixture and shape the night before. You can also mix together the rub and store in an airtight container.
Want to cut the fat? Use ground 98% fat-free ground turkey or chicken.
You don’t really need any special equipment for this Traeger Meatloaf. You need a couple bowls, a wire rack, and a brush to apply the BBQ sauce. One thing I would recommend for any meat recipe is an instant read thermometer. This makes it quick and easy to check the internal temperature of whatever you’re cooking. Lastly, cherry or apple wood is recommended for smoking.
If you have leftovers, place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days. If you want to store for longer, wrap tightly and then freeze for up to 6 months.
Mix the meatloaf and rub mixtures up the night before. Then you can enjoy a relaxing day when it’s time to cook.
What is the secret to moist meatloaf?
- A combination of wet ingredients will help keep your meatloaf moist. In this Traeger Meatloaf, you’ll use onion, bell pepper, egg, and BBQ sauce to add moisture.
What do you put in meatloaf?
- A meatloaf consists of ground meat, filler (breadcrumbs, etc.), vegetables, and spices.
How to keep meatloaf from falling apart?
- Filler is added to meatloaf so you can form a loaf. That and the egg help keep the meatloaf together as it cooks.
Whenever you’re cooking with meat, you need to follow some food safety tips.
- Wash hands thoroughly after handling raw meat and eggs.
- Wear gloves when mixing meatloaf ingredients.
- Use a thermometer to make sure your meatloaf reaches 165 degrees internally.
Traeger Smoked Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 1 bell pepper minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce reserve 1/4 cup to brush on meatloaf
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- Preheat the smoker to 180° F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except for the BBQ rub.
- In a separate bowl mix together the ingredients for the BBQ rub .
- Shape meat mixture into a loaf and place onto a wire rack, coat well with the BBQ rub
- Place the rack on the smoker and smoke for 1 hour.
- Increase smoker temperature to 375° F.
- Brush on reserved bbq sauce and cook for another 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165° F.
- Remove meatloaf from the smoker, cover with foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve immediately with additional bbq sauce if desired and your favorite side dishes.